Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In Search of Swiss Culture


June 20, 2006

At dinner with Deborah’s family, I asked her mother, Vreni, whether there were many cuckoo clocks in her part of Switzerland (my imagination, you see, is sadly limited). “No,” she replied, “we have very few colours here.”

The response gave rise to more questions than it answered. Was Vreni saying that the land was too drab and monotone to offer the necessary inspiration to the tortured artistic geniuses who poured their souls into making the clocks? That hardly seemed likely; Appenzell bursts with more country-fresh colour than an entire family pack of Fruit Loops. Or could it be that she meant there was a shortage of paints in the region with which to decorate the jaunty little timepieces? This seemed more plausible, insofar as it could form a semi-workable plotline for a Swiss-flavoured children’s cartoon. Herr Müller, the kindly old clockmaker, is in a fit of hand-wringing grandfatherly panic the night before the county fair, with a shopfull of unpainted cuckoo clocks. Will the deficiency be made good at the last minute by a plucky paint-carrying chipmunk named Brushstroke?

I was ready to accept this comforting explanation and move to discussions of fondue and Swiss Army knives when Vreni dropped me another clue. “Lots of Yugoslavians,” she offered, “but few colours.”

This detail made the plot more complicated. Were the Yugoslavians trying to manufacture paint and not succeeding? Or, on a more sinister note, were they trying to stop Brushstroke from making his delivery, perhaps because they wanted the first prize in the county fair clock-making contest for themselves? Impossible to tell, but I feigned understanding. “Not as many colours as Yugoslavians,” I agreed thoughtfully.

“Not like the United States,” Vreni added. “Lots of colours there.” This was true, I realized as soon as she said it. All other attributes aside, the US really was a land of paint plenty. In the sequel, I reasoned, Herr Müller and Brushstroke would probably move there.

“It’s still a big problem in the United States, no?” she pursued, leaving me more puzzled than ever. What was the big problem? Surely not a bountiful supply of paint? Was there yet another challenge in store for dear old Herr Müller? “Which problem do you mean?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

“The Ku-Klu Klan,” she responded simply. And suddenly the clockmaker’s shop, the paints, fretful Herr Müller and his bright-eyed woodland brethren vanished like a puff of smoke from a burning cross.

I brought Deborah’s mom up-to-date on English racial terminology, and tried to persuade that I was not, contrary to how it may have seemed, scoping out the possibility of joining a local white-supremacist chapter.

If you’re still wondering about cuckoo clocks (enunciate carefully now!), it turns out there aren’t any of those in Appenzell either. As I learned, they’re actually an invention of Southern Germany, not Switzerland, and only irritating tourists ever ask about them.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Thank you, Vimina, for calling my attention to an outrage far greater than any KKK lynching. I can tell from your unimpeachably Polish name just how much this must upset you. I won't make a retraction on the blog (that would be like pretending this horror never took place) but you bet I'll make a full retraction in my HEART.

Anonymous said...

You can say that again. Thanks for being an inconsiderate ass, Nick. Those clocks belong to the Poles, just like your adopted Chemnitz daughter.

Anonymous said...

Ah Nick, that is precious.

This whole blog is appallingly funny, actually, and so in good conscience I must implore you not join the soulless, mind-numbing abyss that is legal education, where you must write at a third grade level in the plainest, most stripped down type of English imaginable so senior associates can give a two-second cursory glance at the work you've slaved over for 72 hours straight and then throw out the case entirely.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But as I remember Susanna and others saying after thesis-draft-discussion-happy-hour, you absolutely must be a good Canadian and apologetically submit to popular will: you must go write funny Nick-style books in the cultural studies/popular history section. Either that or become a judge and write funny opinions. I read this and thought of you, incidentally.

All that aside, I'm in Cincinnati, the city of ass-rape and SWAT-team-invoking racial tension (seriously). Law school is fucking insane - but it's also not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (a la the Paper Chase). It's ridiculous amounts of work, i.e. what honours would've been like if we actually, you know, DID all the readings and had exams where we had to know all the stuff we read - but it's really interesting and useful stuff, and for me it's a lot more fulfilling and engaging than the Foucaultian Evil of Postcolonial Disneyland, so I'd be lying if I said I hated it. Of course, I have absolutely no life whatsoever, not that I had one in honours, but now I have no life AND no income.

Well, back to Torts for me, which tends to be the subject of everyone's unimaginably, horrendously stupid law jokes. It is phenomenally sad how degraded law students' senses of humour become, because we start finding ridiculous plays on legal terminology tremendously funny for absolutely no reason, and everyone else just wonders how in hell such lame morons could possibly become the next generation of professionals.

I don't get it either. I'm just relieved I still find things from the outside world funnier.

Anyway :) Glad to see you blogging! Sounds like you're having a good time in Switzerland - keep us posted!

- chris