Monday, October 23, 2006

Pictures of Switzerland, Part II

Deborah and I put on tricks to confound the local villagers in Glarus, site of Europe's last execution for witchcraft.

Fleet-footed swine and a confused child strut their stuff at the races at Olma Fair, St. Gallen. In Switzerland, pigs are raced for entertainment and high-stakes gambling, while horses are carved up into sausages for human consumption. Furthermore, cows are entered into national beauty contests that everyone seems to take very seriously.

An age-old Swiss tradition in Rütli: waving red flags to scare away prospective immigrants.


Lake Oeshinen, in the Bernese Oberland. Hiking in Switzerland isn't so different from hiking in British Columbia, except that the trails are maintained to an engineer's standard by the military, and there's a goddam helicopter-supplied restaurant on almost every hilltop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

switzerland ist sehr gut, ja?

your adventures are most entertaining!

let me know when you're back in canadaland. And I'll let you know when i'm in switerland.

Nick said...

That's some fine high German, Murray, but I'm afraid it would get you lynched here in Switzerland. To be on the safe side, better to just say the first half of each word, add in some throat rasping, and hurry over anything that sounds distinctly pronounced.

Also, restrict your conversation topics to cows.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! For some reason your posts are reigniting my interest in Europe. I fear despite my better judgment (re: long flights, dirty lodgings, the language barrier, dirty dublin buses, and what I fear most - european men) I will be traveling that way in May...

It's good to hear from you!