Friday, March 30, 2007

The Two Hardest Things

Not too long ago, I received an e-mail entitled Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: :) insprational Life quotes!!!1 You can imagine my excitement when I opened it, though of course I was careful to avoid plunging in too fast – such rare pleasures are meant to be savoured. So, for a delectable 30 seconds, I pondered gems of philosophy and science – “Life is like riding a bicycle: you’ll never fall off unless you stop peddling” – as well as just plain witty turns of phrase – “Life is a game, play it!!!!!” By the time I was finished, I was an immensely richer person, and I’m not talking about my bank account. Because, as you may or may not be aware, “True wealth comes from experiences, not money.”

But there was one quote in particular that stuck with me. Presented in the form of a three-line poem, it read:

The two hardest things to say in life
are hello for the first time
and goodbye for the last

If you’re feeling soothing waves of catharsis washing over you now, you’re not alone. But perhaps it has also occurred to you to wonder how qualified the author really is to give life advice to thousands of strangers, given that merely saying good morning to any of them would tie for the most difficult conversational experience of her entire life. She could be an official charged with bringing 18 impoverished children the news that they will be evicted from their house on Christmas Day, and also that she ran over their puppy, kitten, and parents on the drive over, and the hardest part of the whole speech would be the greeting at the beginning of it.

Still, e-mail forwards don’t lie. I decided it was up to me to figure out the deeper meaning of these words, and then apply them like a healing balm to every real and potential problem in my life. The reason I’m writing this all now is because I believe I have finally succeeded. With only a few additions, alterations, and a slight change in scope, the quotation could be presented as such:

The two hardest things to do as a foreigner in Switzerland
are to legally obtain a job
and to officially quit one

Let’s start with the issue of getting a job, but to begin with I should make a couple of things clear. The first is that, compared with a very large percentage of the immigrant population in Switzerland, my working prospects are blessed beyond all merit and proportion. I have a European passport, which allows me to bypass a lot official restrictions; I am not of Yugoslavian, Turkish, or African decent, which spares me from many unofficial restrictions; and I have my very own Swiss concubine ready at hand, which confers innumerable legal and personal advantages. You might well declare that Switzerland is my oyster, as indeed I do every day.

Which brings me to the second point: namely, that in spite of all these assets, I have never managed to obtain work legally in Switzerland. Five months after I first applied for a work permit, four months after the date the Police Étrangère promised I would receive it, and two months before I will finally quit my job and leave the country, bureaucrats are still hotly debating whether or not I should be allowed to extend my summer tourist visa until at least the end of 2006. All the work I’ve gotten so far has been on the understanding that my papers should be arriving any day now – which, to be fair, is no more than I’ve been told by the three government offices and one private contracting agency that have passed my file down the line like the baton in a relay race. But even as my legal right to remain in the country for another day remains in question, I am required to pay every month into a fund that will support me when I finally retire in Switzerland some forty years hence. It’s a pretty damning indictment to compare any country’s government bureaucracy to the one in France, as all of you who were in Grenoble can attest, but I think Roman Switzerland comes close to deserving it.

Now let’s move on to the thorny issue of quitting a job. I am leaving Lausanne at the end of May, so I gave my boss my two-months’ notice yesterday. She told me to put it in writing and send it to her. Accordingly, I went home, typed up a one-line letter, put it in an envelope, and dropped it into her mail slot at the office this morning. This seemed a trifle formal for a language school where two years is considered a long time for a teacher to stay, but no matter. Formality is nothing new among the Swiss, whatever their reputation as free-wheeling, salsa-dancing party animals.

Later this morning, however, my boss told me that even this was insufficient. It wasn’t enough to just give her notice: apparently, I had to walk one block to the post office, buy a special express-delivery stamp, and send the notice back to the office. She even advised me to hurry, so that it would reach her by the afternoon. Standing there listen to her explain that she needed the very letter she was already holding in her hand as soon as possible had a nonsensical, Alice-in-Wonderland feel to it. And yet this is the standard procedure for leaving every job, large or small, throughout the whole country.

So, five francs and a half-hour wait at the post office later, I am now permitted to quit the job I was never allowed to have in the first place. But I’m not letting it get me down. As a very wise person once told me and everyone else on their mailing list, “In three words I can explain what I've learned about life: it goes on.”

2 comments:

Adrian said...

You had to pay 5 francs to quit your job that is fucking classic. Good post.

Another Day said...

Haha - It's nice to hear that someone else (the wise author of those profound quotations) has the same greeting problems that I do. The other day I was introduced to a girl I'd never met before and I stammered and stumbled, on the verge of tears, to finally mutter an excruciating "hello." It was almost as hard as the day before when I bid goodbye to a department store clerk that I had no guarantee of ever laying eyes on again.